|DECEMBER 17, 2015|
- Cosco takes over China Shipping's box carrier role in mega merger
- Hong Kong port down 8.1pc in Nov to 1.6 million TEU, Singapore off 15.9pc
- Singapore court convicts local of doing business with N Korea arms trader
- Dubai's Jebel Ali terminal will have off-dock gantry crane controls
- Rotterdam dockers strike, reject automation because of huge job loss
- Japan to help build Indian high-speed rail link and finance new highways
- Fitch Ratings revises outlook for container shipping in 2016 to negative
- French regulators hit express firms with US$735 million in price-fixing fines
- Sea captains applaud UN mandated box weigh-ins at shippers' expense
- TSA to levy US$100 - $200/FEU westbound hike ex USWC, USEC-Gulf Feb 1
- Chinese firm to design and build Atlantic Canada container terminal
- City of Burgas opts for VSTEP full mission bridge maritime simulator
- Protesting Russian truckers focus anger on President Putin's cronies
- EU plans to counter fierce Mideast and Asian airline competition
- Lufthansa Cargo releases new mobile electronic air freight tracker
- US$272 million boost to freight at Heathrow doesn't need 3rd runway
|DECEMBER 16, 2015|
- Ben Line Agencies celebrates 10 years of successful operations in India
- CMA CGM to deploy largest cargo vessel ever to call at a US port
- IMB warns of suspect switched bills of lading scheme
- Indian seafarers among 'MOL Presidential Award' winners
- Reshamsingh transports Super ODC consignments from Godrej, Vikhroli to RIL, Jamnagar
- Swire Shipping enhances North Asia-Pacific multi-purpose liner service
- Veg. oil imports up by 13.42 pc in Nov.
- Mumbai Port to disburse pension through Aadhar-linked bank account
- CQCTD-One more committee to resolve quality complaints & trade disputes
- Factory output shoots up by 9.8 pc in Oct.
- Govt may fix MIP for steel products
- L&T bags orders worth INR 1,960 cr.
- With export decline hitting the one year mark, Fieo urges immediate govt intervention
|DECEMBER 16, 2015|
- Underwriters warn of marine broker takeover risks
Broker M&As threaten choice, say underwriters. Credit: LRWith the announcement that insurance broker Lockton is set to acquire Italian marine broker PL Ferrari, it becomes just the latest in a line of insurance brokers bidding to acquire marine rivals. One senior London underwriter told IHS Fairplay: "In the past there were...
- Indian class society supports COP21 in reducing carbon footprint
Classification society Indian Register of Shipping (IRClass) has lent its support for the COP21 agreement in cutting down greenhouse gas emissions. Speaking at the India Pavilion during the recent United Nations Climate Conference in Paris, Arun Sharma, chairman and managing director for IRClass stressed the needs to utilise the most cost-efficient...
- Finland's Rauma Marine Constructions receives capital injection
A vessel in dry dock at Rauma, Finland. Credit: HasenpuschRauma Marine Constructions (RMC), the privately owned company that in 2014 took over the former STX Finland shipyard in Rauma, has received a capital injection from three investors, the company said in a statement. The investors, Finnish Industry Investment Ltd, (Finda) and...
- Busan moves towards logistics hub goal
An artist's impression of Busan New Port. Credit: Busan Port AuthorityThe South Korean port of Busan, already the biggest transhipment port in Northeast Asia, moved towards its goal of becoming a global logistics hub when it finally broke ground for the Phase 2-4 development of Busan New Port. The government made...
- NYK sets up vehicle processing centre
An NYK car carrier. Credit: HasenpuschJapan's Nippon Yusen Kaisha (NYK Group) said today that its subsidiary NYK Automotive Logistics (China) Co. Ltd. (NALC), has established a new vehicle processing center that will be managed by NYK Vehicle Processing Service (Shanghai) Co. Ltd. (NVPC). NVPC is a joint venture (NALC 75%, Tonglit...
- South Korea officials and creditors debate SPP Shipbuilding's survival
SPP's Tongyoung Yard, South Korea. Credit: PAGovernment officials met with creditors of South Korean shipbuilder SPP Shipbuilding in yet another attempt to keep it alive. On 15 December 2015, Yeo Sang Kyu, from the ruling Saenuri Party, officials from the Ministry of Trade, Industry & Energy, as well as executives from...
- Mid-2016 could see bulker and tanker earnings changing places
VLCC rates 'present upside potential'. Credit: HasenpuschStrong second-quarter earnings are expected for dry bulk carriers in 2016 and tankers are heading for profitability levels not seen since the global financial crisis. Those are the predictions of Maritime Strategies International (MSI), presented today in separate dry bulk and tanker freight forecasts....
- Busan transhipment volumes grow while gateway business falls
Busan port. Credit: PAThe port of Busan in South Korea saw a rise of more than 9% in its transhipment-related container throughput in the month of October as it continues to grow the segment against the backdrop of falling gateway volumes. The port handled 869,000 transhipment containers in October, accounting for...
- Shipping lines to launch new Asia-Oceania routes
Swire's new service includes port calls to Suva, Fiji. Credit: MackeyA new service named FOX is being launched by five Asia-based container carriers to expand their Far East-Australia services to meet increasing market demand on the route. Starting on 14 February 2016, FOX or Far East Asia Oceania Express, involves South...
- Commentary: Boosting efficiency while reducing emissions
A ship passes under the Golden Gate Bridge. Credit: PACOP 21, the United Nations conference on climate change, will not place shipping at the top of its list of leading polluters. There are more high-profile polluters and other sectors of industry that have further to go in tackling emissions. While shipping...
- Boosting efficiency while reducing emissions
COP 21, the United Nations conference on climate change, will not place shipping at the top of its list of leading polluters. There are more high-profile polluters and other sectors of industry that have further to go in tackling emissions. While shipping wouldn't want to be at the top of that...
- CMES orders four VLCCs
Shanghai-based China Merchants Energy Shipping (CMES) has ordered four very large crude carriers (VLCCs) from Chinese yards as part of its plan to build 10 eco-friendly VLCCs announced in a recent corporate statement. Two of the 308,000-dwt VLCCs will be constructed by Nantong Cosco KHI Ship Engineering's shipyard, while another two...
- Yangzijiang lauds COSCO-China Shipping merger
Yangzijiang chairman Ren Yuanlin. Credit: YangzijiangThe merger of China's COSCO and China Shipping will help to enhance shipping competitiveness globally, Singapore-listed shipbuilder Yangzijiang Shipbuilding Holdings has said. Ren Yuanlin, executive chairman of Yangzijiang, told IHS Fairplay that the merger of the two state-owned enterprises is expected to enhance the dominant position of...
|DECEMBER 16, 2015|
- No strike at Cargolux as management and unions finally hammer out new work agreement
- APL membership of G6 box shipping alliance expected to continue through 2016
- Nord Pas de Calais for sale after Eurotunnel loses final court ruling on Channel ferry services
- Consolidation in the 3PL industry: why is it happening, and what does it mean?
- China Postal Airlines orders ten 737Fs, while Kalitta converts 767s
- IAG Cargo sees growth in westbound traffic as air cargo improves ability to handle pharma safely
|DECEMBER 16, 2015|
- Omnibus bill includes $1 billion for extra destroyer
- Eagle LNG to be fuel provider for Crowley ConRo duo
- Radio Holland in remote monitoring agreement with CNCo
- USCG to UV BWMS makers: Prove bugs are dead
- Triyards tanker trio to be Wartsila equipped
- Ban on U.S. crude oil exports set to end
- Rolls-Royce eliminates a senior management layer
|DECEMBER 16, 2015|
- Port of Vancouver sees end of extended 2015 cruise season
- Coast Guard crews repairing storm damaged aids to navigation
- Ceremony celebrates naming of new Mitsui LNG carrier
- Transpacific Stabilization Agreement calling for general rate increase
- China Postal Airlines orders ten converted Boeing freighters
|DECEMBER 16, 2015|
- Product tankers hit by slump in northwest Europe cargoes
Daily tanker earnings drop to five and a half week low on the Europe to US gasoline trade
- Los Angeles November box volumes show year-on-year rise
Latest numbers mark first time in three months that the port has seen growth on year
- Holders of OSG senior notes overwhelmingly accept repurchase offer
Amid a rout in high-yield bonds, OSG made a $226m offer that could not be refused
- Panamax index edges up from record low
Optimism over increased grain and soyabean cargoes from Argentina
- Commerzbank's Stefan Otto promoted out of shipping
New Shanghai role for German banker, but rundown will continue
- New Bill set on lifting US crude export restrictions
US oil exports likely to extend the bull market for crude tankers even further
- Consolidation ramps up...
...But more scrapping still needed to balance oversupply
- Drewry plays down talk of further carrier consolidation
Challenging market outlook will only subdue liner valuations and make them less appealing to potential sellers, say analysts
- ACL's new ro-ro/containership to sail from Hamburg
Latest addition to the ACL fleet joins the transatlantic trade
- Höegh LNG Partners keeps cash distribution stable
Net income for July-September amounted to $5.2m
- Brussels puts formal plans in place for European Coast Guard Agency
New agency and EMSA permitted to jointly patrol waters with aerial drones
- Data Hub: Load Factors
Carriers move to address transatlantic overcapacity
- Debt payments on hold during Ultrapetrol lender talks
Triple charter cancellation leads to debt restructuring talks and repayment halt
- CSCL to complete asset swap in early 2016
Boxship unit of China Shipping Group to complete operational restructuring within a one-year transition period
- DP World explores further expansion of Prince Rupert box terminal
Feasibility study agreement signed for Fairview Container Terminal's Phase II South expansion
- Swire Shipping upgrades North Asia to Pacific liner service
Service will link Qingdao port in mainland China to South Pacific
- China to hold maritime demarcation talks with South Korea
Talks will take place in Seoul on December 22
- Matrix launches new marine offshoot
Greek Lloyd's broker lures experienced London market team to head Matrix Marine
- ClassNK certifies two more ship recycling yards in India
Both facilities met standards set out by the 2009 Hong Kong Convention
- Rotterdam port large-scale LNG project to conclude by year end
Closing celebrations for three-year LNG initiative held this week
- Hanjin to expand Far East to Australia services
New service to be operated with six 4,500 teu vessels for a 42-day rotation
- Brodosplit Shipping Company orders four LNG containerships
Brodosplit shipyard building vessels to DNV GL class specifications
|DECEMBER 16, 2015|
- US Congress set to give ports, freight projects more funding
- Ground division, e-commerce push up FedEx revenue, profit
- EU court throws out $861 million air freight cartel fines
- Charleston port volume rises on steady manufacturing demand
- Cargomatic expands to San Francisco, eyes new markets
- CP promises 'street fight' if NS rejects latest takeover bid
- LA volume jumps as West Coast claws back import market share
- Brazil rail operator expects container volume to stay strong in 2016
- Dual alliance membership could mitigate service disruption amid liner mergers
- US independent driver group sues feds over electronic logging mandate
- New services aimed at meeting strong Asia-Oceania demand
- Estonia's Sillamae port commissions new container terminal
- Deutsche Bahn set to trim loss-making freight operations
- Busan transshipment growth erases import, export losses
- India exports fall for 12th straight month
|DECEMBER 16, 2015|
- Day rate jumps for LR1 period charters
Data from Alibra Shipping shows $1,250 per day rise in one week. Spot market also rising.
- VLCC market still roaring on high hopes
Big tankers see day rates jump by 4.3% in one day on key Middle East-to-Japan route.
- Avance ends Aurora bid on lack of interest
The month-long pursuit of rival VLGC owner ends as bid fails to attract enough demand.
- Norgas ship detained
LPG ship one of five to fall foul of British port state control inspectors in November.
- Seven ships detained in UK during November
Gas carrier, general cargoship and bulker among those detained by UK authorities.
- Barham brought in to lead UK flag reform
Former Stena and Bibby man tasked by parliament with ensuring the Red Ensign recovery continues.
- US crude exports: boon, bane or dud?
Repeal of export ban could happen sooner than expected, but impacts are not clear cut.
- Jo Tankers LR1 trio secure higher rates
Major traders take in tankers from Norwegian shipowner on more lucrative period charters.
- OSG gets OK to move international assets
As part of its restructuring, the tanker company said bond holders agree to allow asset sales.
- ISH offloads only supramax bulk carrier
US shipowner has cut $85m from debt so far with efforts to divest non-core fleet.
- Chinese yards target tech
Latest five-year state shipbuilding plan sees emphasis on complex high-value vessels.
- Concern over New Zealand inspections
Maritime union worried that ship safety checks have been cut back.
- Atlantic extends AHTS deal
Statoil keeps Norwegian owner's Ocean King for another six months.
- Tanker order could double
Swiss-Canadian Maritime has three options for more chemical carriers in Vietnam, Wartsila reveals.
- Power of three VLCC deals to boost DHT
Improved contracts for tanker trio raise interest in owner's stock and promise higher dividend.
- Frontline exposure to boost SFL dividend
Pareto Securities says tanker sibling will contribute to stronger payouts at Ship Finance International.
- UASC claims teu world record
Middle East-owned ULC Al Muraykh leaves Port Klang with 18,601 boxes on board.
- US yard eyes tie-up
Front Street of Maine close to sealing ferry-building joint venture with Brodrene of Norway.
- Eisa files for bankruptcy
Brazilian tanker, PSV and boxship yard seeks court protection in bid to preserve its long-term viability.
- Avance Gas offer for Aurora into final day
Outcome of battle for VLGC owner will become clearer after bid expires this afternoon.
- More for Subsea 7
Oslo-listed offshore shipowner Subsea 7 has continued its bond buy-back programme by spending another $9.6m.
- Polarcus adds Aussie survey
Middle East seismic shipowner heading south for work in Vulcan sub-basin.
- Hanjin Shipping launches FOX
Korean owner responds to Asian and Australian demand with new service involving partner lines.
- Star Bulk keeps selling
Petros Pappas-led owner linked to sale of another pair of large bulkers fresh out of the newbuilding yard.
- CMES gets cheap VLCCs newbuildings
Shanghai-listed shipowner confirms orders for the first four of a planned series of ten tankers.
- Swire expands North Asia service
Hong Kong shipowner aims to become only multipurpose operator to connect China to South Pacific.
- Vietnamese tanker arrested
Singapore's admiralty sheriff has detained a modern Chinese built chemical tanker.
- Ultra Deep Group firms up order
Singapore offshore vessel owner puts pen to paper on DSCV newbuilding contract in China.
|DECEMBER 16, 2015|
- CMA CGM dissolves Delmas brand
- IAG Cargo strengthens Latin American presence
- DHL debuts Asia Pacific Innovation Center
- Israeli government fines Ashdod Port for sulfur spill
- North American freight volumes beat expectations in November
- CP maintains pressure on Norfolk Southern to sell
- NYK opens vehicle processing center in Shanghai
- Rotterdam-Dourges rail shuttle set to launch in Q1 2016
- Executive Moves: CBP and Dayton Freight
- Greenbrier receives orders for 1,800 new rail car units
- New ACL hybrid vessel prepares for first voyage
- FMC reviews 13 OTI license applications
- Trucker association sues FMCSA over electronic logbook mandate
- FMC receives $334,000 in civil penalties from seven businesses
- El Faro attorney files motion to deny limitation of liability
|DECEMBER 16, 2015|
- Oil futures fall after EIA reports stocks build, Fed rate hike
NYMEX January crude settled down $1.83 at $35.52/b. ICE January Brent settled down $1.26 at $37.19 on expiry. ICE February Brent settled $1.34 lower at $37.39/b.
- US EIA says crude stocks rise 4.8 million barre
Inventories have increased 11 of the last 12 reporting periods, refusing to budge lower despite the end of the autumn refinery maintenance season.
- Bunker prices still weakening
Crude oil benchmarks respond to reports that US inventories are at record levels.
- US Fuel oil stocks slide as EIA says implied demand highest since April
Stocks in the US totaled 42.757 million barrels, a draw of 1.348 million barrels compared with the previous reporting period.
- Lessons can be learned from OW collapse, says new consultancy
'Uncontrolled oil price risk will, ultimately, be catastrophic.'
- Market Manoeuvres
Ian Taylor takes a snapshot view of recent developments in the US bunker market.
- Fuel gain on newbuild VLCCs
Ships ordered today 20% more fuel efficient than those built five years ago.
- Paris accords could rebound on shipping
Maersk sees failure to mention shipping in climate change agreement as opening the way to regional regulations.
- Iran to focus on cutting fuel oil output as sanctions end
Talks on refinery upgrades are already underway.
- Singapore ship arrest
Tanker owned by Vietnamese interests.
- ExxonMobil starts MFM bunkering operations in Hong Kong
Installs mass flow metering system on bunker tanker Anshing.
- Indian port mulls LNG bunkering addition
To raise profile for ship calls, including bunkering.
- Ecoslops plans new residue processing plant at Constanta port
Inks letter of intent with Romanian offshore oil, gas services company.
- Brightoil receives $100 million investment fund
Transaction completed Tuesday.
- China ECA: MGO demand expected to increase significantly by 2019
Question remains whether location vessels will lift compliant fuels, says Fratelli Cosulich source.