|MAY 9, 2016|
- A-E rate falls 13pc to US$636/TEU, off 7.5pc to Med, rises 0.7pc to USWC
- NOL posts quarterly loss of US$105 million on cusp of CMA CGM takeover
- APMT's 1.3 million TEU terminal in Izmir close to completion
- Port of Savannah will continue weighing containers at no cost to shippers
- LB port CEO expects port rivalry to intensify due to alliances, mega ships
- XPO pays US$10 million penalty in Pentagon 'overcharging' case
- Strikes protesting austerity likely to cripple Greek transport in coming weeks
- Kalmar clinches US$22 million crane upgrade at Tanjung Pelepas
- ECU Line rebrands self as ECU Worldwide, accenting global leadership
- USCG praised for statement on SOLAS container weights
- China to invest US$11.9 billion in aviation infrastructure this year
- Amazon to lease a further 20 freighters from Atlas, both parties 'excited'
- IATA's March air freight survey indicates gloomy outlook for industry
- British MPs accuse government of 'dithering' over London Airport expansion
|MAY 8, 2016|
- ICS strongly criticises Prestige judgment by Spanish Supreme Court
- India to issue guidelines on SOLAS container weight verification this week
- ITIC reports on costly transhipment errors by ship agents
- Maersk Line introduces direct service to Cuba
- Seminar lists guidelines on how shipping can strengthen cyber security
- Simatech Shipping launches two India-flagged coastal vessels in Mumbai
- Adani West Basin Port achieves record discharge of steam coal
- Spices Board sets up Quality Evaluation Lab at Kandla
- Eastern Star Awards 2016
|MAY 9, 2016|
- Upgrade for Texan rail infrastructure
- DHL takes charge of road traffic for Syngenta
- Yard opening in Houston
- Industry stalwart named deputy CEO of Eurotunnel
- North Pole route 90 years old today
- Direct service to the Balkan States
- US-Swiss partnership in rail segment
- Aviator recruits new CEO
- TAAG's latest Triple Seven
- Armitt and HPH to build new multimodal terminal
- Logistics for aviation and aerospace sector
- Hungary: train control system successfully tested
- Toll Thailand gets new country manager
- LNG hub in Antwerp operational by 2016
- Iberia suspending Istanbul, Lagos and Accra services
- Qatar Airways flies A350 to Australia
|MAY 6, 2016|
- Shipping MLPs bouncing back, but not far enough
- Vehicle carrier lawsuits pile up at FMC
- GasLog sees clear path to LNG shipping recovery
- Shubh Arya becomes the fifth ship recycler in Alang to get HKC compliance status
- ECSA urges European Commission not to be 'overly restrictive' on beaching
- Keppel reveals corruption charges on Skornicki
- BIMCO warns shipping of toxic cocktail of slow growth and rising bunker costs
- MOL launches Indonesia's second inter-island LNG shipping project
- South Korean seafarers' union speaks out against layoffs
- Charterers give Sainty Marine's ships a wide berth
- Growth in US LPG exports insufficient to relieve VLGC oversupply
- NOL suffers USD105 million Q1 loss as CMA CGM takeover cleared by EU
- Great Eastern posts USD150 million profit
- D'Amico cancels Yangfan yard order for two container ships
- Spot rate fall resumes on Shanghai-Europe while Asia-US prices stay flat
- South China's Zhanjiang port sees 78% surge in first quarter iron ore imports
- Indonesia, Malaysia, and the Philippines on joint sea patrol to prevent kidnapping
- Shock at sudden death of Contship Italia's Marco Simonetti
|MAY 6, 2016|
- EXCLUSIVE Port of Felixstowe u-turn on insistence on VGM, but will charge for weighing boxes
- Amazon deal 'promises much', but Atlas Air fails to acknowledge elephants in the room
- Carriers pin hopes on mid-month Asia-Europe price hike after GRI gains fade again
- Angry union calls on Argos drivers for strike vote over transfer to Eddie Stobart
- Analysis: it's all about costs at AF-KLM, but angry unions may blunt its cutting edge
- Swedish cargo carrier West Atlantic posts $6m loss in 2015
|MAY 6, 2016|
- America's Cup race returns to New York
- Research ship won't be Boaty McBoatface, but ...
- Eastern delivers another towboat in long series
- BAE Norfolk wins $29.4 million CG64 award
- LCS to be fitted with Kongsberg strike missile system
- Crowley christens third LNG-ready Jones Act tanker
- AIDA Cruises rejects NABU claims on AIDAprima emissions
- Lack of navigational awareness, so ferry hits rock
|MAY 6, 2016|
- Port of Grays Harbor eyes sale of NewWood manufacturing gear
- Crowley marks christening of LNG-ready product tanker
- Coast Guard rules weighing practices meet new SOLAS Convention scheme
- Customs warns travelers of importing Mother's Day flowers
- General Dynamics NASSCO launches new SEA-Vista ECO Class tanker
|MAY 6, 2016|
- GasLog still bullish on long-term LNG shipping prospects
But it slips into first-quarter loss as project outages and delays hurt spot rates
- Asia-Europe box traffic jumps 21% in March
Early Chinese New Year boosts monthly trade and helps quarterly traffic climb above 2015 levels
- Cosco's yard unit sounds pessimistic note after first-quarter losses
Singapore-listed Cosco Corp hurt by offshore and shipbuilding downturn
- Yilport seeks majority control of Ports America
Chairman Robert Yildirim in second round of negotiations with Highstar in move that would give Turkish entrepreneur a firm foothold in the US ports
- Maersk and MSC offer shippers stability in box line turmoil
- NOL incurs $105m net loss in first quarter amid weak rates
Carrier says severe overcapacity continued to affect the market in 2016
- Holiday blues hit capesize rates
Rates slashed by 20% over the past week due to decline in activity
- Cheniere falls to $320m net loss
America's first LNG export project started offering cargoes for ships in February and is eager to turn a profit
- Household names make the grade in bid to operate Panama Canal port
PSA, TIL, Terminal Link and APM Terminals in the race to operate the proposed 5m teu transhipment hub at the waterway's Pacific entrance
- South America grain exports offer a glimmer of hope
Rising tonne-mile demand supports rates but oversupply continues
- Commodities downturn hits South Africa
Africa's most developed country faces declines in dry bulk exports
- Søren Skou hints worst could be over for box trades
INTERVIEW: Maersk Line chief executive encouraged by full ships and prospect of price momentum towards mid-year
- Indonesia, Malaysia and Philippines to jointly combat piracy
Foreign ministers and chiefs of armed forces meet to address region's maritime security issues
- Keppel provides update on Petrobras and Sete Brasil investigations
Group obtains copy of Brazilian Public Prosecutor's report on charges filed against Zwi Skornicki
- Bahri secures Islamic credit facility to fund three VLCCs
Loan will be used to finance 80% of the price of secondhand vessels
- Faz Peermohamed steps down as chief executive at Norwegian Hull Club
Chief operating officer Hans Christian Seim appointed acting chief executive
|MAY 6, 2016|
- Ecoporto Santos slashes in-house truckers from payroll to combat crisis
- US exporters, container lines in high-stakes game of SOLAS chicken
- Yusen, MOL open logistics subsidiaries in Myanmar
- Focus on gateway over transshipment traffic powers DP World
- California offers amnesty for drayage companies that reclassify drivers
- Trucking adds jobs, barely; wage gap with construction grows
- Altamira, Prince Rupert fastest-growing North American ports in 2015
- US West Coast port container volume rises
- Export rally through Oakland port continues
- Weak freight rates drag NOL to deep loss
- Asia-US spot rates hold as China-Europe spot rates slide
|MAY 6, 2016|
- Iran warms up to a 'freeze' on oil
Key Opec member says it has reached plateau of production targets.
- Scorpio refinances debt on two MRs
Announcement comes as Scorpio still seeks to finance newbuildings.
- Still bullish, Evercore cuts GasLog bet
Analyst Jonathan Chappell expects full-year loss but keeps a 'buy' rating.
- Ofer's Pacific Drilling faces Total axe
But company seeking to negotiate alternative to cancellation of drillship contract.
- Harkand troubles spread to US; HOS sues
Offshore vessel owner becomes latest victim of troubles at Oaktree-backed subsea company.
- Bimco applauds tanker order restraint
But those already in the book pose a risk to strong rate environment, chief analyst says.
- Lindblad pushes profit above expectations
Strong fleet performance lifts bottom line in first quarter for New York expedition cruiseship operator.
- GOL Offshore agrees debt-swap deal
Lenders to turn 74% of borrowings into equity in offshore shipowner.
- NOL sees red in first quarter
Singaporean liner company posts $105m loss as CMA CGM deal progresses.
- Clarksons chairman surveys difficult market backdrop
James Hughes-Hallett says full-year performance likely to see heavier weighting to the second half.
- GasLog misses first quarter forecasts
Loss deeper than expected in challenging LNG market.
- Cosco Corp begins new year in the red
Singaporean shipbuilder turns a loss in the first quarter while it confirms Aegean's aframax order.
- Fornaes scraps two offshore vessels
Danish breaker takes delivery of veteran Boston Putford and Atlantic Offshore ships.
- Maersk Line to benefit from reshuffling
Soren Skou looks at the positives of latest consolidation wave.
- Abandoned tanker hit by fire
Flames seen in captain's cabin after vessel beaches in Liberia with no sign of crew.
- Still no investor deal for ABG Shipyard
Indian yard responds to report lenders are ready to sell the company.
- Eidesvik-Harkand contract terminated
A charter agreement for a 2009-built ship is ditched as UK company enters administration.
- R&A buys tanker owner Semua Shipping
Malaysian investment company tries to maintain listing with $37m deal for six-ship fleet.
- Al Qaeda a 'growing threat' to shipping
Yemen-based terrorists have capability to hit vessels, naval chief says.
- Iran threatens to close Strait of Hormuz
Vital tanker route will be choked off if US becomes too aggressive.
- Jaxport grows Asian container volumes
Florida-based port says trade lane is fastest growing segment of its container business.
- Pacific Drilling slumps to first quarter loss
Idan Ofer-backed outfit slips into the red as end of lucrative charter takes its toll on revenue.
|MAY 6, 2016|
- NEWS FLASH: Cargomatic CEO Kessler out
- SCFI falls back after last week's jump
- Commerce finds dumping of Indian pipe imports
- IATA: Airfreight demand remains weak in March
- U.S. meat exports in Q1 rise in volume, sink in value
- International Shipholding reports $8.5m loss in Q1
- Port of Oakland exports grow for fourth straight month
- Port of Charleston to provide verified box weight for $25 fee
- Prime Distribution Services opens new Indiana facility
- Port of Tilbury gains new temperature-controlled facility
- Matson CEO: Global container shipping in a 'nasty down cycle'
- Maersk Line CEO expects business to pick up later this year
- Oil heads toward first weekly loss in over a month
- HNA Group mulls purchase of Singapore logistics firm
- U.S. trade deficit narrows as imports slump most in seven years
- Report: COSCO Hope captain could face charges over Port Said fire
- UPS announces $0.78 dividend
- U.S. transportation employment ticks up in April
- Bureau Veritas purchases casualty consultancy
- ISS: Greek port workers engage in another strike
|MAY 6, 2016|
- Fujairah 380 CST delivered bunker fuel premium at almost 4-month high
Due to higher crude prices in recent weeks.
- IBIA develops procedures for fuel surveyors for mass flow meter bunkering
Standardizes bunker delivery by mass flow meter to vessel.
- No impact on Fujairah bunkering after barge collides with LPG vessel
Fujairah bunker fuel market has 17 licensed suppliers.
- Oil complex settles higher, but pares Fort McMurray wildfire rally
NYMEX June crude settled 54 cents higher day on day at $44.32/b, having reached $46.07/b in morning trading, while ICE July Brent settled 39 cents higher at $45.01/b after trading at $46.77/b.
- Panama Canal postpones third draft restriction to May 25 due to recent rain
The maximum authorized draft for transiting vessels will remain at 11.74 meters (38.5 feet) until May 24, after which it will be reduced to a maximum draft of 11.59 meters (38 feet).