|APRIL 3, 2017|
- Asia-Europe rate rises 2.8pc to US$838/TEU, up 14.8pc to USWC
- CMA CGM increases Asia-West Africa freight rate US$500/TEU from May 1
- China Merchants profit up 14.3pc to US$706 million as sales rise 14.0pc
- Singapore's APL sets sail in CMA CGM service with the Ocean Alliance
- Singapore grants Japan's 'Big 3' approval to merge box operations
- Hamburg expands Vorhafen Harbour Basin for more space at Tollerort terminal
- MOL buys 20.9pc of Malaysia's PKT Logistics to optimise joint 'synergies'
- CN and TFI strike deal to strengthen Canadian intermodal service
- 30pc of digital jobs in China by 2035 may be created through Alibaba: study
- Falling orders, new China paint rules to lead to container shortage: CIMC
- Malaysian Export Academy to hold retail, wholesale, meeting in Vietnam
- Pittsburgh Airport's cargo rises 5.9pc in January and February
- 100 tonnes of flowers fly from Colombia to Britain for Mother's Day
- Delta, Korean Air enter JV to stave off rivals and share revenues, costs
|APRIL 2, 2017|
- CITI Solutions opens new office to focus on international freight forwarding
- Credit growth in exports & shipping a sign of improved sentiment, says analysis
- OCEAN Alliance commences on April 1
- DP World's NSIGT introduces automated gates for the first time in Indian ports sector
- JN Port achieves all-time high throughput of over 4.5 million TEUs in 2016-17
- JN Port handles its deepest ever container vessel
- Kandla Port crosses 105 mt throughput in 2016-17
- KPT Board approves number of measures for all-round development of the Port
- Nitin Gadkari inaugurates child care centre as part of Mumbai Port's CSR project
- State Assembly approves setting up of Gujarat Maritime University
- Gateway Rail to start handling container traffic at Viramgam
- GST seen beneficial to organised logistics
- Cabinet allows unrestricted exports of all certified organic agricultural products
- Dr Lalit Kanodia to be President & Raj Nair Vice-President of IMC for 2017-18
|APRIL 3, 2017|
- Strengthening Georgia as transport and logistics hub
- Joint forces to create digital freight train
- USD 25 million lands in Freightos net
- Niches in the north
- Long-term contract on the Maasvlakte
- Flower for John Good's new NW agency
- Best financial year ever
- Lufthansa Cargo back on track?
- Trans-o-flex finally announces CEO
- New IT system for domestic rail traffic in Norway
- Wave of cranes to Latin America
- Tony Barnes new Seko COO Asia
- Shopping in Malaysia
- New FCL and LCL train from Guangzhou to Vorsino
- Faster transit from southern Spain to UK
- Jumbo freighter order cancelled
|MARCH 31, 2017|
- Mitsubishi HI signs alliance agreement with Imabari and Namura
- MOL to take USD183.3 million hit on box ships
- Exmar expects to close Vopak deal for the summer
- Container shipping seen turning corner as freight, charter rates firm up
- Beleaguered EMAS served notices of demand for two support vessels
- Cosco Shipping Holdings suffers USD1.4 billion loss
- HMM launches South Korea-China-Russia service
- World's first LNG icebreaker docks at Russia's Sabetta Port
- DSME's bond holders urged to accept bailout
- Profit and throughput grow strongly at China Merchants' Hong Kong-listed ports division
- Japanese trading groups may finance shipbuilding
|MARCH 31, 2017|
- Shippers draw up April Fools' Day contingency plans as new alliances launch
- UK Express under fire as GMB union takes action over delivery drivers' status
- Container lines see rate rises stick across most ocean trades
- Brexit 'a leap in the dark', but flexible shippers could benefit
- Gatemore chief piles on the pressure as DX Group unveils merger plan
- What a world led by China might look like
- enVista appoints Henry Gorski as EMEA ocean category manager
- China's COSCO Shipping reports $1.4bn loss for 2016
- Anthony Gunn appointed executive vice president of forwarding at Gefco
- Tony Barnes is SEKO Logistics' new Asia-Pacific chief operating officer
|MARCH 31, 2017|
- Mitsubishi Heavy moves ahead with shipbuilding alliances
- Sanmar and Robert Allan Ltd. mark 150 vessel milestone
- VIDEO: First ice-breaking LNG carrier docks at Yamal terminal
- Damen develops First Line Assistance Vessel
- Turkish yard delivers Canada's first dual-fueled tanker
- NTSB reports on sinking of 41-year old U.S.-flag tug
- Detyens awarded $12 million T-AO 189 contract
|MARCH 31, 2017|
- Oldendorff to use 'smart' data to cut fuel costs
The technology will lead to a reduction in the fleet's carbon footprint
- A logistical nightmare
The UK's decision to leave the European Union has left forwarders in the dark over the future of the supply chain
- This is why Bourbon is in trouble
Offshore sector still feeling the sting of oil price collapse in worst market for 30 years
- Bourbon lease deal worth $1.5bn on the rocks
Negotiations between offshore giant and ICBC 'not going well'
- Spot market rejects latest carrier price push
Container lines left playing the April Fools as third successive attempt to hike rates falls flat
- Higher debt costs pinch shipowners
Rising interest rates increase cost of debt by 0.5% to 1%
- MOL to delist from Nagoya Stock Exchange
Move partly due to low traded volumes on the board
- Creditors demand written pledge from DSME union not to strike
Union will have to submit pledge by next week
- Evergreen Marine plans $263m bond issue
Proceeds will be used to pay back bank loans and improve liquidity situation
- HMM receives shipbuilders' proposals for up to five VLCCs
The carrier is evaluating the proposals with the bidding process yet to start
- FMC's revised shipping service contract rules come into effect May 5
Move to streamline regulatory processes and costs for ocean shipping businesses
- Nasdaq exchange regulator seeks to delist Ocean Rig
Ocean Rig's shares to suspend trading on April 6 unless appeal is successful
- Eagle Bulk looks past fourth-quarter losses
Fleet renewal on the way with nine-vessel acquisition and the earmarking of 16 vessels for sale
- Euroseas goes ahead with discounted kamsarmax newbuild
Greek owner convinced by Chinese yard's 10% price reduction, coupled with signs of market recovery
|MARCH 31, 2017|
- Steep climb ahead for Mississippi River container terminal
- Trans-Pac spot rates pop on pre-alliance surge
- Simplified carrier service contract rule takes effect May
- JNPT's rail push advances with new depot
- Weak rates pull China Cosco to $1.4 billion loss
- Teamsters win wage hikes in US auto shipper contract
- Kobe unseats Yokohama as Japan's No. 2 port
- CEVA Logistics, Anji expand China joint venture
- China Merchant profit soars on strong volume growth
|MARCH 31, 2017|
- Eagle Bulk's Vogel sees dry bulk improving
China and US infrastructure plans could be major positives for minor bulk cargoes.
- George Economou tied to Berkeley resale deal
Greek shipowner's Cardiff Marine said to have purchased kamsarmax newbuilding.
- Navigator Gas' fifth ship goes in-house
Gasship owner on path away to shift most of its fleet away from third-party mangers.
- Gener8 tanker sales talk said 'premature'
New York owner has not yet closed a deal to halve its remaining aframax fleet.
- Japanese panamax sales show rising prices
Reported S&P deals by Kotoku Kaiun, Shoei Kisen and Abo Shoten deliver jump second-hand bulker prices.
- Dry bulk recovery continues
Most dry bulk indices were up this week allowing the Baltic Dry Index (BDI) to gain more ground.
- Two more anchor-handlers out of layup
Havila and Olympic reactivate ships in better North Sea market.
- ConTex on a rising spree
Hamburg Shipbrokers' Association index sees one month of successive improving sessions.
- VostokCoal to order 15 Arctic bulkers
Russian producer teams with Nordic Bulk on new fleet initiative.
- PSV rates climbing
Steady fixing has boosted earnings in the North Sea.
- KfW risk provisions reach $175m
German lender took "conservative" approach to loan problems in 2016.
- Swedish Club discounts rates by 4%
Members to benefit from reduction on premium rates for the current year.
- Songa Bulk acquires two more ships
Arne Blystad-backed company expands its fleet with double bulker deal worth $43.35m.
- RMT pays $5m to banks
Voluntary move designed to lower interest costs as restructuring continues.
- Mitsubishi confirms shipbuilding alliance
Imabari and Namura team up with compatriot shipyard while Oshima is expected to join as well.
- Evergreen Marine falls to $282m loss
Taiwanese container line sees operating costs outstrip revenue in 2016.
- Siem offers sweetener to bondholders
Norwegian owner set to buy bonds worth $23.4m if maturity extension is granted.
- MOL booking $183m impairment charge
Japanese giant to take hit on bulker business in fourth quarter.
- Pan Ocean more than doubles profit
Restructured South Korean shipowner delivers strong bottom line result in 2016.
- HMM: no VLCC tender yet
But Korean owner says it has already received proposals from yards for five tankers.
- Emas hit by $54m charter claims
Owners of two vessels want Singapore company to pay $17m within 10 days.
- DSME worth only $4.5bn if liquidated
Report by auditor shows big gap to yard's asset-value of more than $13bn.
- MES considering spin-off plan
Japanese shipbuilder could split business into yard, machinery and engineering units.
- Greenship agrees to sell five ultramaxes
Jacques de Chateauvieux-backed venture wastes little time finding buyer for Crown-63 vessels.
- DSME creditors seek union 'no strike' pledge
State-backed creditors want workers to refrain from launching any strikes over restructuring plans.
- COSCO Shipping reports $1.4bln loss
Chinese owner expects 2017 to be an improvement on last year as container markets pick up.
|MARCH 31, 2017|
- Trump picks McAleenan as permanent CBP commissioner
Acting Deputy Commissioner Kevin K. McAleenan has been nominated by President Donald J. Trump to be commissioner of Customs and Border Prot...
- FMC provides date for new rule amending service contracts, NSAs
The Federal Maritime Commission (FMC)said its final rule amending requirements for service contracts and NVOCC service arrangements (NSAs), ...
- Lower Mississippi River could gain new container port
Source: American Patriot Holdings LLC. Plaquemines Port Harbor & Terminal District and American Patriot Holdings LLC want to build a con...
- Special Coverage: Ocean freight invoicing errors
There are plenty of variables to quantify the impact of ocean freight invoice inaccuracies, but here's a simple one: the Atlanta-based food...
- Swiss Post gets green light to begin drone flights
Swiss Post, the national postal service company of Switzerland, has been given the green light by Switzerland's Federal Office for Civil Av...
- K + N becomes Grünenthal's global transportation provider
Kuehne + Nagel, a Swiss-based third-party logistics provider, and Grünenthal, an international research-based pharmaceutical company, agree...
- Chao: Trump's $1t infrastructure plan to include 'more than transportation'
President Donald Trump's purported $1 trillion infrastructure plan will cover far more than just transportation infrastructure, U.S. Secret...
|MARCH 31, 2017|
- US DATA: EIA says January fuel oil imports fall from last month
Import data showed a total of 6.758 million barrels of fuel oil came into the US, down from 7.074 million barrels from December, as well as the 2016 average of around 7.29 million barrels.
- Glencore sells stake in oil storage business to China's HNA Group
The transaction will result in a newly incorporated company, HG Storage International Ltd. Under the deal, HNA Group will acquire a 51% equity interest, which is payable in cash upon closing, subject to customary closing adjustments.
- Storm hampers bunker operations at Novorossiisk
Deteriorating weather has meant tighter restrictions on operations at Russia's Black Sea port of Novorossiisk, with bunker operations also hit, sources said Friday.
- Singapore Q2 ex-wharf 500 CST bunker fuel term at $3-$3.50/mt discount
This is broadly in line with current quarter term contracts that were concluded at discounts of around $3/mt to MOPS 380 CST HSFO assessments.
- External: Wired Bunkering
- Bunker association IBIA appoints new acting board from April 1
The association's new chairman is Robin Meech, from Marine Energy and Consulting.
- FEATURE: LNG bunkering still a key solution to IMO's 2020 sulfur cap rule
Stricter regulations, ample supply, and incentives for infrastructure will promote LNG as a marine fuel
- FUTURES: ICE Brent edges lower ahead of contract expiry
- Container shipping may grow 2%-4% in 2017 as economy revives: Maersk
Supply and demand for container ships is now more balanced but better capacity management will be required.
- ANALYSIS: Market expects large EU CO2 emissions drop in 2016
Analysts broadly expect a year-on-year drop of 2-4% for CO2 emissions across the EU ETS in 2016, ahead of the partial data due for release April 3.
- Iraqi oil output falls sharply, but still above OPEC allocation
Iraq is committed to "fully implementing" the OPEC cut, Alamri said.
- TRADER NOTE: Ex-Petrochina head of crude trading to join Mercuria: sources