|MAY 4, 2017|
- Cosco Shipping Holdings posts US$39m profit in Q1
- RICS calls on HK government to build new logistic hub
- NYK declares yearly loss of US$2.39 million
- 8,238-TEU CMA CGM Otello pioneers first direct Indonesia-US service
- Hapag's US$90/TEU Europe-West Africa peak season surcharge May 15
- US trade with Mexico, Canada rises 2.9pc in Feb to US$86.5b
- More freight rate volatility on horizon amid overcapacity: analyst
- Yang Ming's new Philippines' subsidiary to enhance customer services
- China's WUT adopts Navis' software to train nautical officers
- Air China to start Beijing-Astana and Beijing-Zurich services in June
- Aeromexico posts US$13.6 million net loss while revenue rises 17.5pc
- Yusen Logistics to expand Dutch and Belgian cold storage facilities
|MAY 3, 2017|
- CMA CGM sends one ship sailing from China every three hours within OCEAN Alliance
- Containership fleet seen growing by about 3 pc in 2017
- Dry bulk shipping outlook seen remaining positive
- ICS launches 2017 Annual Review
- London P&I Club reports increased free reserves for 2016/2017
- New Alliances vs Dangerous Goods Acceptance
- PPG appoints new member for Northern & Eastern India
- US FMC rejects agreement between Japanese Big 3 carriers to form joint container shipping entity
- Iran's port activity booming
- JNPT brings about a turnaround in congestion on Port access roads
- Allied ICD holds annual May Day celebration in Durgapur
- Nittsu Logistics starts own FTWZ in Tamil Nadu
- Exim Bank launches duty calculator tool on 'EXIM Mitra' portal
- Pharmaceutical exports being further facilitated
|MAY 4, 2017|
- New IT system to increase efficiency
- Czech railfreight operator expands fleet
- From Europe's ships to the ports of this world
- Combined freshness
- Significant increase in earnings
- Modern Logistics now cleared to build up own fleet
- US railroad invests in automated system
- Ceva's first quarter results
- Cosco Shipping Holdings achieves positive Q1/2017
- Kaczmarczyk takes on COO post at Imperial Transport...
- Finnair suspends MIA route, SAS announces Stockholm service
- Shopping in Denmark and Kenya
- More rail services to Turkey
- Quiver full of appointments at GAC
- Dry bulk on a steady upward path, says Drewry
- Qatar Airways connects islands, lands A350 in Switzerland
|MAY 3, 2017|
- Poll reveals the myth of 'seablindness'
- Contract coverage prevents DS Norden from exploiting dry bulk recovery
- Japan lines' container merger referred to US Department of Justice
- Verhoeven to step down as ECSA secretary-general
- Quiet week for demolitions
- Resurgence in China's LNG imports seen
- STX O&S optimistic about refund guarantees
|MAY 3, 2017|
- Shock for Japanese shipping lines as merger plan is rejected by US FMC
- Forwarders hit the acquisition trail, with a daily double for Panalpina
- Analysis: CEVA a more attractive proposition after pivotal refinancing
- Interview: Avianca will blossom in South America even as air cargo demand wilts
- Bigger ships threaten Portland's container export prospects
- Expeditors sees operating income fall, despite surge in volumes
- Patrick Verhoeven joins International Association of Ports and Harbours to head policy
|MAY 3, 2017|
- Jennifer Boykin to be President of Newport News Shipbuilding
- Environmentalists file suit to block Trump offshore order
- Bill seeks to boost maritime training at two-year colleges
- Finnish multipurpose corvette program moves ahead
- Zinke inks orders implementing Trump offshore plan
- Dual-fuel engine family gets EPA emissions certification
- FMC rejects Japanese lines' Tripartite Agreement
|MAY 3, 2017|
- Product tankers to struggle before summer relief
Atlantic basket MR earnings below $10,000 per day but increasing US refinery runs could eventually offer support
- Europe must say No to heavy fuel oil in the Arctic
If spilled in the colder waters of the Arctic, HFO breaks down more slowly and also emits black carbon, which has a greater climate warming effect at higher latitudes
- Suezmax earnings outlook still strong despite recent correction
Singapore Maritime Week sees tanker owners vocal about low oil prices and US crude exports
- Panamax bulkers dive 17% on limited cargoes
Analysts expect quiet few days due to holidays in many countries
- Simon Morse eyes organic growth for 'back to basics' ISS
End-to-end voyage optimisation central to restructured group's focus on core strengths
- Norton Rose adds to Singapore shipping team
Two new appointments bolster shipping and offshore oil and gas
- VLGC earnings up at cash break-even levels for owners amid Middle East buzz
Freight market benefits from additional cargoes out of the Middle East Gulf, soaking up tonnage and firming up sentiment
- Norden net profit cut to less than $1m
Update: Danish owner and operator says strong first quarter demand for dry cargoes unlikely to be maintained through the rest of the year
- Dubai Maritime City Authority to partner Maersk in training initiative
Authority intends to position Dubai as a leading maritime scientific centre
- HHI to list spin-off companies on Korean stock exchange
Move will help the group bring its debt-to-equity ratio under 100%
- Patrick Verhoeven jumps ship to IAPH
Update: ECSA secretary-general hopes to secure shipping's omission from EU ETS before leaving
- CMES halts trading ahead of China Merchants-Sinotrans integration
'Major event' prompts Shanghai-listed CMES to mull asset restructuring
- Samsung Heavy Industries inks deal with BW for four VLCCs
BW Group confirms $335m order and possible DHT purchase option for the newbuildings
- Terminals face significant changes under alliance reshuffle
A 'carrier-centric' approach is necessary to avoid overcapacity
- FMC bars Japanese lines' pre-merger negotiations
Companies must merge before acting like merged companies
- Jeremy Nixon linked to top job at new Japanese line
There has been no official word from NYK, MOL or K Line about the name of new entity or its chief executive
|MAY 3, 2017|
- Fearing alliance collusion, Congress eyes US supplier protection
- NY-NJ 'pool of pools' forms but isn't port-wide
- CEVA expects ocean, air cargo gains to continue through 2017
- US shippers jump into trucking contract talks
- Russian rail monopoly lobbies for pricing deregulation
- Global air cargo growth accelerates
- Global Ship Lease eyes stronger market as earnings grow
- JNPT gets final nod to equalize rates for rail-road handling
|MAY 3, 2017|
- Matson's first quarter profit hits the mark
Earnings are down year-on-year on lower volumes in key Pacific trade lanes and higher costs.
- Dividends not NAT's only problem
Hansson faces new dilemna of how to pay for newbuilding programme after lenders shut off the financing tap.
- US tug operators chary of boxship alliances
Head of US trade group asks for more oversight of containership mergers.
- Suezmaxes suffer spot rate 'correction'
Howe Robinson spot rate estimate loses 14.1% in one day as charterers drive rates lower.
- US and Kassian ask judge to rule on bulker detention
Lawyer for the exonerated owner says the US government acted unreasonably in detaining the Electronica in pollution case
- Gurnee sees MR rebound by fourth quarter
JP Morgan analyst agrees with Ardmore chief that stage set for recovery this year.
- NAT hit by covenant and auditing woes
Herbjorn Hansson obtains bank waivers, but restrictions in place that will limit future dividend payments.
- ABN Amro eyes loans for 'sustainable shipping'
Lender will help shipowner clients meet new rules on ballast discharge and sulphur cap.
- DNB Markets upgrades Dorian LPG stock
Switch to buy comes amid belief the VLGC market is moving towards another up-cycle.
- Rumours swirl around Chang Myung capesize
Sales speculation this week surrounded a capesize bulker in the fleet of South Korean owner Chang Myung Shipping. Some brokers were placing a figure of $31m on the 179,000-dwt C Discovery (built 2010), a price around $1m more than what VesselsValue estimates the ship to be worth. While rumours in the market had connected Greek owner Navios with the vessel, TradeWinds understands this is not the
- Scorpio Bulkers sales chatter unfounded
Sources say New York-listed owner is not looking to sell further tonnage after DryShips deal.
- Latvian Shipping adds Vitol suezmax
Riga owner takes over management of fourth tanker from parent oil group.
- Clarksons backs Reach Subsea to prosper
Broker starts coverage of Norwegian owner at buy due to expansion potential.
- Ardmore beats first quarter forecasts
New York-listed owner books smaller then projected loss aided by arrival of newbuildings.
- Norden expects dry 'hype' to cool down
Jan Rindbo explains strong first quarter Chinese demand unlikely to be sustained, with knock-on effect on prices.
- FSL first quarter earnings rise
Singapore owner boosted by lack of ship-sale losses compared to 2016.
- Crist wins work on STX France cruiseships
Polish yard to help French partner to complete two 300-metre vessels.
- Alliances 'will not help' NAFTA trade
Freight forwarder iContainers says new tie-ups unlikely to boost competitiveness.
- Pan-United mulls listing of port business
Singaporean group plans to separate its port subsidiary and take it public in Hong Kong.
- InterManager signs up first ship registry
Shipmanagement association welcomes Marshall Islands as a member.
- Investors dumping Rickmers Holding bonds
Price drops further as German boxship owner tries to restructure.
- Norden back in black for first quarter
Tankers help Danish shipowner to book a profitable opening to 2017.
- BW revealed as owner behind VLCCs at SHI
BW Group has confirmed it has ordered four VLCCs at Samsung Heavy Industries (SHI) in South Korea in a deal worth almost $335m. A company spokesperson told TradeWinds: "BW Group has contracted four VLCCs at Samsung Heavy Industries with various options attached, including other ship types." BW declined to give further information on its optional vessels. Referencing DHT Holding's March announce
- Tanker leaks oil after collision
Tug breaches hull of Antares Naviera ship in Buenos Aires.
- Seadrill Partners defers quarterly dividend
US-listed master limited partnership looks to retain cash until Seadrill restructuring effort settled.
- Swiber CFO hands in resignation
Leonard Tay leaving restructuring Singapore owner in July.
|MAY 3, 2017|
- Panalpina to acquire Kenya-based Air Connection
Basel, Switzerland-based international freight forwarder Panalpina will acquire the Kenyan forwarder Air Connection, the company said in a ...
- Air China taps WFS for airfreight handling in Barcelona
Cargo handling company Worldwide Flight Services (WFS) has signed a three-year contract to provide cargo services to Air China in Barcelona...
- AIIS: U.S. steel imports surge in March
U.S. steel imports in March 2017 rose 24.7 percent to 3.4 million net tons compared with the previous month and 30.5 percent compared with ...
- YM Halts service to Iran
Troubled Taiwanese ocean carrier Yang Ming Marine Transport is halting its container service to Iran. Several larger shipping lines began ...
- Great Lakes limestone trade down in April
Shipments of limestone to the Great Lakes decreased 16.3 percent to 1.6 million tons in April 2017 compared with the same period a year ago...
- FMC rejects Tripartite Agreement of 'Big 3' Japanese carriers
The Federal Maritime Commission (FMC) is rejecting on jurisdictional grounds the "Tripartite Agreement" (FMC Agreement No. 012475), a propo...
|MAY 3, 2017|
- Crude futures turn lower after EIA data shows small crude draw
- US DATA: Crude stock draw falls short of market expectations
- US DATA: EIA says Gulf Coast ULSD stocks at lowest level of year
- First fuel oil Suezmax for May fixed on Europe to Asia arbitrage route
- Bunkering at Gibraltar hit by delays amid high demand: sources
- External: Wired Bunkering
- FEATURE: Piracy spikes shipowners' demand for kidnap and ransom insurance
- Panama Canal to see daily LNG carrier transits within 4 years, says CEO
The initial projection was for one LNG ship a week but this had already reached three to four ships, Quijano said.
- TRADER NOTE: UAE's GAC puts new group sales management structure in place
New appointments will help sharpen group's commerical focus