|MAY 23, 2017|
- Cathay to sack 600 in Hong Kong, survivors must do more to keep jobs
- SIA Cargo to join S'pore Airlines as US$99.7 million quarterly loss hits
- Gothenburg docker dispute now threatens wider Swedish economy
- Asia-Europe marine container shipments notch up new record high
- CMA CGM rate hikes June 1 on Asian boxes bound for North Africa
- Drewry main route survey shows rates fell 3.6 per cent in late May
- Ottawa ups individual Canadian National share holdings from 15 to 25pc
- New US Trade Representative vows to help 'make America great again'
- No escape from UN's 0.5 sulphur fuel rule on January 1, 2020
- North P&I Club posts 7pc tonnage gain and 99pc member retention
- GAC Dubai Contract Logistics meet ISO 22000:2005 food grade standards
- SKF to display services at Nor-Shipping for emissions monitoring
- First in passengers, Atlanta spends US$200 million to rise in cargo
- Alaska Airlines delivers Copper River salmon to the Lower 48
|MAY 22, 2017|
- Asia's first fully-automated container terminal commences operations
- Hapag-Lloyd registers positive operating result in Q1 2017
- ITIC & ASG launch new surveyors' indemnity wording
- MOL to launch sales of redesigned, refined PBCF
- Over 40 pc of students from JBS Academy crack Regulation 6 examination to become licensed Custom House Agents
- PIL to develop integrated logistics park in China
- SCFI rates fall
- Yang Ming charters two vessels to boost service
- Export of finished steel zooms in April
- APM Terminals Inland Services, South Asia provides new community services in Chennai
- Nationwide stir proposed by port workers federation
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) on GST migration
- India must take advantage of lull in TPP & TTIP to improve competitiveness, say experts
- Tax refunds to exporters won't be delayed under GST regime, says Sitharaman
|MAY 23, 2017|
- Investing in rail infrastructure in Wyoming and Utah
- Relocating warehouse operations in Singapore
- Shipping first batch of springs for locomotives
- Marine data sharing enhanced by Unctad
- YL sets up halal warehouse in Laem Chabang
- Fisher shoulders CFO role at YRC Worldwide
- ELS opts for Lion
- Avianca: more flowers and from Brazil to Miami
- Second time lucky
- Shenzhen to Minsk in twelve days
- Shipping agency to deploy unmanned air vehicles
- Australian logistics player banks on mining expert
- Integration of APL makes CMA CGM hum
|MAY 22, 2017|
- MPC Container Ships buys up German box ships
- South Korean bunker tanker operators threaten strike again
- Rapid intra-Asia trade growth in Q1 no fillip for rates
- Pacific Radiance, Allianz Offshore establish JV for Middle East
- Chinese firm to upgrade Black Sea port
- Marco Polo seeks court's help to restructure Indonesia shipyard
- Rickmers Maritime trust reduces loan balance by USD4.7 million
- Silicon Valley-backed tech firm targets dry bulk ship booking
- Two more Sewol victims' remains found
- Labour shortage no impediment to Singapore's maritime hub goals
- Former STX Pan Ocean vice-chairman appointed to oversee DSME's normalisation
|MAY 22, 2017|
- 600 jobs to go as Cathay Pacific restructures and reviews cargo operation
- APL turnaround brings significant boost to CMA CGM first-quarter results
- SIA Cargo gets a higher profile after flying back into the black
- WSS to launch pilot scheme for drone deliveries to ships at anchor
- Escalating dockworker conflict now threatens Swedish economy
|MAY 22, 2017|
- Start-up containership company buys its first seven ships
- MTU to power largest high speed cat operating in Med
- Remote controlled ships could sail Baltic within three years
- Canada issues ship safety bulletin on drone use
- Denmark eyes blockchain path to digitizing ship registration
- Marine Jet Power names Natoce President
|MAY 22, 2017|
- VLCC summer slowdown starts early
Get ready for a long, hot summer - how low can you go?
- Grimaldi eyes expansion with HSW still in its sights
Owner warns of ro-ro and ro-pax fragmentation, car carrier overcapacity
- Further consolidation to hit terminals and niche carriers
Carrier moves to efficiency will see transhipment reduced
- Back Rickmers survival plan for 40% payback, bondholders told
Failure to take terms will mean virtual wipeout, warns Rickmers' law firm
- Have VLCC values finally found a floor?
Signals indicate that the tide may be turning for asset values for the biggest crude tankers
- John Lloyd to head up Nautical Institute
Former seafarer and marine pilot takes over as chief executive as Philip Wake retires
- Monsoons and Ramadan to drag down handysize bulker earnings
Weighted time charter average hits a two-month low on limited cargo
- Trade ties boost intra-Asia box volumes
Regional containers surge in first quarter but rates remain stubbornly low
- MPC Container Ships buys seven vessels for $38m
Norway OTC-listed company plans to acquire six more boxships
- Big names back Shipamax dry bulk cloud system
Investment worth $2.5m to build data-driven dry bulk platform
- Jinhui cautious about dry bulk market recovery
Chairman remains wary despite seeing a 54% jump in revenue over last year's first quarter
- GulfNav net profit rises 39% on write-backs of provisions
Management aims wipe out legacy accumulated losses
- Hafnia Tankers to buy back up to $10m in shares
Share prices set in the $5.50-$6.50 range
- JES to pay off key stakeholder debt via share issue
Company unable to generate cash as its Chinese shipyards are undergoing restructuring
- Marco Polo Marine shipyard unit applies for court-led debt restructuring
Indonesia-based unit given 45 days from May 18 to submit a plan to be approved by creditors
|MAY 22, 2017|
- Shenzhen now on regular China-Europe rail route
- FMC's Doyle backs safeguards for domestic alliance suppliers
- US containerized export growth decelerates
- US-Mexico shippers face delays after Laredo crossing closed
- US-Mexico cross-border gains outpace Customs staffing
- MPC Container Ships strikes 13 vessel deals
- Nippon Express doubles down on China-Europe rail
- Uber Freight wants drivers, not driverless trucks
- Ukraine port dredging latest notch in Belt and Road
- Overcapacity blamed for suppressing intra-Asia rates
- JD.com creates Shaanxi province drone network
- Too soon to tell if carriers heading back to black
|MAY 22, 2017|
- Marshall Islands inspecting 12 VLOCs after Stellar Daisy loss
Flag state carrying out precautionary checks of all bulker giants converted from VLCCs.
- Navios Partners focuses on bulker buys
While some signals had pointed to a containership interest, Angeliki Frangou has eyes on dry-bulk growth.
- ADM boosts Santos grain exports
Panamax-capable port now has a second ship loading line and new unloading facilities.
- Stifel:'long second half' ahead for tanker owners
Opec and non-Opec producers plan this week to renew crude export cuts.
- Songa Bulk steps up to Oslo Axess
Arne Blystad-backed asset play vehicle takes another step towards full listing in Norwegian capital.
- State of the Arc: Yamal's icebreaking LNG carriers
Lucy Hine reports from onboard as the world's most advanced LNG carrier makes its maiden call on the Yamal Peninsula
- El Faro: Countdown to catastrophe
The sinking of the 40-year-old conro sparked the most detailed US casualty investigation in recent memory. Ahead of the release of the official reports, Eric Martin, who sat through the hearings and talked to the relatives of the crew, reveals the disturbing story of the doomed ship's last hours
- 'Never again': El Faro families say crew died unnecessarily
Terry Davis, the widow of able-bodied seaman (AB) Brookie Davis, took time off work to listen to every arduous hour of the Coast Guard's three rounds of investigative hearings into El Faro's sinking. "We, the people left behind, can't do a thing to change what's already happened," she said outside the Jacksonville convention centre where the hearings were held. "What we do have to do is keep it i
- BBC launches US Gulf run
German project cargo line targeting business from Hamburg.
- Norden reshapes dry cargo department
Reshuffle comes six months after the arrival of new divisional chief Christian Christensen.
- Cocaine found in bulker's engine room
No suggestion of crew involvement as Colombian police raid Nord Manzanillo.
- Carnival hit with lawsuit over alleged sexual assault
Crew member working for cruise giant allegedly attacked woman on Carnival Victory.
- Big-spender Navios 'ready to thrive'
Angeliki Frangou-led company sees red in the first quarter but says it is well-positioned for market recovery.
- Diana Containerships loss widens
Greek boxship owner sees deeper red in the first quarter as revenue tumbles.
- Normand Reach gets a spring clean
Gibdock preparing Solstad ship for Australian biofouling guidelines.
- Svitzer seals major contract in Morocco
Synergies of Transport & Logistics division of Maersk Group highlighted in this "several hundred million deal".
- Lloyd appointed as Nautical Institute CEO
London-headquartered organization replaces outgoing Philip Wake.
- Clarksons: Shipping OPEX hits $100bn
Research chief says simply going on a diet may not be enough to trim spending.
- Seaport: 27 capes would be needed to plug VLOC gap
Any block by Vale on converted bulkers would have 'significant' market impact.
- Five dead in ro-pax fire
Indonesian authorities rescue 192 people from blazing ferry off Masalembu.
- Digital heavyweights back new bulk platform
Yahoo and PayPal magnates supporting commodity start-up Shipamax.
- Rickmers bondholders could make "high value" recovery
Company's bond representative says restructuring plan is only realistic way forward.
- India Steamship fleet committed again
Long-awaited shipowning exit is drawing nearer with a new Greek name in the frame for fleet.
- CMA CGM back to black in first quarter
French giant turns a profit as latest addition APL also posts first positive result since 2011.
- Tallink handing out nearly half its profit
Estonian ferry group ready to pay $22m in dividends for 2016.
- MPC Container Ships reveals 13-vessel buying spree
Oslo-based start-up spends $38m on seven boxships and agrees deals for six more.
- SHI confirms $100m order for LNG carriers
South Korean shipbuilder boosts its orderbook for 2017 to around $2.3bn with latest Kogas deal.
- Seanergy Maritime strikes again on capesize front
US-listed owner picks up second-hand capesize from German administrators.
- Russia targets June IPO for SCF
Part of state shipowner could be sold to small investors, sources claim.
- Hafnia Tankers lines up $10m buyback
Oslo OTC quoted owner wins approval for repurchase of its own stock.
- New online platform targets more S&P transparency
VT Group's Hugo Sassen creates Shipboot and provides cyber room where brokers and owners can check tonnage availability.
- Caspian Shipping buys Russian barge
Azeri owner snaps up motor hopper from GidroTrans.
- Marco Polo yard files for debt freeze
Indonesian subsidiary wants to halt repayments in downturn.
- Pacific Radiance expands Middle East footprint
Singapore-listed offshore vessel operator teams up with Allianze Offshore in new venture.
- Jinhui just misses out on first quarter profit
Oslo-listed shipowner points to brighter times, but warns about unpredictability of recovery.
- Gulf Navigation makes strong start to 2017
Dubai-based tanker owner says it has made a "significant improvement" in its performance.
- Vallianz posts $208m first quarter loss
Singapore-listed offshore vessel operator said this series of non-cash impairments.
- GoodBulk starts public life in the red
Shipowner also enters into $60m credit facility with ABN AMRO to help finance acquisition of its fleet.
|MAY 22, 2017|
- Port of Baltimore ups cargo volumes in Q1
The Port of Baltimore handled 2.56 million tons of general cargo during the first quarter of 2017, up 5 percent year-over-year and a record...
- DOT makes senior staff appointments
The U.S. Department of Transportation has concluded a round of senior staff appointments. These appointments include: * Anthony Bedell, ...
- Executive Moves: WFS and CAGTC
Source: Pressmaster/Shutterstock Worldwide Flight Services has announced several corporate appointments, while the Coalition for America's G...
- FMC reviews 4 OTI license applications
The U.S. Federal Maritime Commission (FMC) has received four ocean transportation intermediary (OTI) license applications and changes for r...
- JD.com has sights set on drones
China's largest retailer, JD.com, reached an agreement with the provincial government of Shaanxi to build the country's largest low-altitud...
- World Trade Bridge at Laredo closed
U.S. Customs and Border Protection has temporarily closed border-crossing operations at the World Trade Bridge at Laredo, Texas, due to sev...
- Cathay Pacific cuts 600 jobs, restructures cargo division management
Cathay Pacific is cutting 600 jobs at its head office in Hong Kong, affecting senior, middle management and non-managerial roles, the airli...
- Senators reintroduce legislation to boost U.S. infrastructure
U.S. Sens. Roy Blunt, R-Mo., and Mark Warner, D-Va., reintroduced legislation last Wednesday to improve the nation's infrastructure, dubbed...
- Senate fails to authorize FMC supply chain portal
During a mark-up of a bill to authorize funds for the Federal Maritime Commission (FMC), the U.S. Senate Committee on Commerce, Science ...
|MAY 22, 2017|
- US LNG cargo sets sail for Dutch Gate terminal, first delivery to NWE
The Arctic Discoverer set sail Sunday from the Sabine Pass LNG export plant in the Gulf of Mexico and is expected into Gate on June 7.
- Peruvian refiners PetroPeru, Repsol to take first cargo of ANS crude
The ship is currently offshore the Baja, California peninsula, according to cFlow, Platts trade flow software.
- Oil complex rises as OPEC meeting, dollar weakness lend support
NYMEX June crude settled 40 cents higher at $50.73/b. ICE July Brent settled 26 cents higher at $53.87/b.
- Fuel oil data firm Clipperdata buys data arm of Axelrod Energy
Clipperdata competes with S&P Global Platts in the provision of data and information on oil-product markets.
- External: Wired Bunkering
- FUTURES: Oil firmer on hopes of OPEC deal extension
- Qatar joins call for OPEC deal rollover to March 2018
The process of rebalancing was "finally gaining momentum," Sada said in a statement Sunday.
- Consensus on cut extension aside, OPEC and non-OPEC partners have much to resolve
- Compliance with quotas, compliance metrics unresolved - Monitoring committee meets Wednesday to review deal - Full OPEC meeting Thursday, followed by non-OPEC meeting
- ANALYSIS: Rouhani's re-election as Iran president positive for petroleum sector
- Rouhani wins decisively against hardliner Raisi - Progress on upstream contract model likely in second term - Clashes with Khamenei, Trump lie ahead