|APRIL 4, 2018|
- Hamburg Süd & Electrolux get together to reduce sulphur dioxide emissions in ports
- Positive outlook seen for multipurpose shipping
- DP World Cochin achieves impressive Q1 2018 growth & highest monthly volume
- Mumbai Port handles record number of automobiles in 2017-18
- VCT adds new cranes to existing infrastructure
- VOC Port's Centralised Truck Parking Plaza has many advantages for the trade
- Almost 10,000 km of National Highways constructed in 2017-18
- Digital initiatives for ease of export launched
- Logistics being given a push at the highest level
- New multimodal logistics park in Goa to facilitate faster cargo movement to JN Port
- Trial run of container train service between India & Bangladesh
- FIEO Regional Chairman applauds CBEC, JNCH & Air Cargo Mumbai for success of fortnightly GST refund drive
|APRIL 5, 2018|
- Old Adelaide-Tarcoola rail track made new
- France may tax foreign trucks in transit
- Inland shipping doing well in Germany
- Mourning Mark Whitehead
- Fiege wins German order
- Air China extending Houston service to Panama
- High investment curve at the port of Oakland
- Port of Kiel set to receive 750 m trains
- AMI relocates in Melbourne
- DHL expanding e-commerce fulfilment options
- Silk Way West returning to Budapest
- Ekol expanding intermodal transport services
- New intra-Asian service by APL
- Ohio airport adds another international carrier
- Rhenus and partner set up joint venture
- New sales director at BDP International
|APRIL 4, 2018|
- Maersk, Commerzbank stay silent on reported fleet deal
- 'Significant demand' expected for autonomous ships as new company launched
- Saudi tanker reportedly attacked off Yemen's Red Sea coast
- COSCO upbeat on OOCL merger as US authorities weigh deal
- DSME clinches order for VLCC pair from North American client
- Hyundai HI seeks voluntary retirements again
- HMM reportedly eyes 50% stake in Busan terminal
- Liquidation likely for Sungdong Shipbuilding, analysts say
|APRIL 4, 2018|
- US shippers may recall or divert tariff-hit exports as trade war with China heats up
- COSCO back in the black, with a little help from its state friends
- Lufthansa eyes Brussels Airlines' Africa network and will market cargo services
- IMO slammed for lack of transparency and ingenuous policy-making
- Chinese merchants get an even better US Post deal than Amazon
- Ryder acquires e-commerce operator MXD for $120m
|APRIL 4, 2018|
- Offshore wind leader Ørsted to open Atlantic City office
- Gibbs & Cox wins Navy contract for LDP 17 and LX(R) tech support
- Ingalls awarded a further $56.9 million for Fitzgerald repairs
- NETSCo's Mueller named Fellow by SNAME
- Northern California could be home to first U.S. floating wind farm
- Seven Hapag-Lloyd box ships get a MacGregor Cargo Boost
- Electrolux to suck up extra cost of burning clean fuel in four ports
- VIDEO: Wilhelmsen, Kongsberg form autonomous shipping company
|APRIL 4, 2018|
- Euroseas charter deals reflect leap in rates for feeder containerships
Hopes rise at Greek owner as six more ships come up for renewal in the next three months
- Callimanopulos fleet goes up for sale in Chapter 11 endgame
Predominantly Chinese-built fleet seems most likely to be carved up among various buyers
- Brazilian ocean and hinterland logistics critical as 'soya wars' escalate
Brazilian soyabean logistics have been characterised by delays and high costs, which may hamper a rise in Chinese demand
- Tariffs targeting agriculture may shake up bulker trades
China's retaliation against US tariffs highlights how global dry bulk trades could be altered
- Maritime gender pay reports reveal scale of gap
All UK companies employing more than 250 people are required by UK law to publish gender pay gap data by...
- Autonomous shipping newcomer promises nothing fresh
Kongsberg's chief executive Geir Håøy believes there has been a significant increase in demand for autonomous technology, even from the...
- Chinese tariffs on US soyabeans may slow dry bulker recovery
Panamax and handysize dry bulkers will be under strain, says SWS Research
- Electrolux stumps up for clean fuel trial
Electronics giant shares costs of low-sulphur fuel trial with Hamburg Süd
- Wilhelmsen and Kongsberg set up autonomous shipping venture
The new Norway-based company called Massterly will launch in August 2018
- Saudi tanker attacked by Yemen rebels
Threats to merchant shipping around Yemen have been evident for over a year, as fighting between the government backed by...
- Trade row tariffs' impact on box shipping is negligible, says Cosco
Affected volume on transpacific trade is not significant, but shippers are taking a wait-and-see attitude in contract negotiation
- Torm adds three newbuild MR tankers to fleet
The new ships are to be ready for IMO 2020 sulphur regulations
- Trade war fears escalate as US releases tariff list on $50bn of Chinese products
Washington's proposed list targets around 1,300 types of products and follows retaliatory Chinese tariffs
- Consolidation in the Asian shipping market - is bigger better?
The shipping industry's extremely cyclical nature makes it particularly prone to the forces behind merger and acquisitions
- Cyclone Iris threatens coal shipments
Weather disruptions drives down capesize earnings to 14 months low
|APRIL 4, 2018|
- Two-way auto traffic drives South Atlantic port volume
- Ryder-MXD Group deal shows strength of last-mile demand
- Montreal terminals plan longer gate hours to address congestion
- Chittagong sets volume record in March amid easing congestion
- Yilport eyes Gulfport as entrance to North America terminal market
- Maersk: India's 2017 trade growth strong, 2018 looks even better
|APRIL 4, 2018|
- Team Tankers caps Laurin deal
Danish chemical tanker owner will acquire outstanding shares held by Laurin Shipping and Anglo-Atlantic Steamship for almost $66m.
- LPG freight rates lower on China's tariffs
Physical and derivative markets fall as China's move to tax US LPG puts additional pressure on gas carriers.
- Korea P&I Club gains 164 vessels
Inflow of new tonnage welcome after collapse of Hanjin.
- Venezuela pushes crypto-coin on ships
Beleaguered country looks to increase liquidity for oil-backed digital currency through new measure.
- Hoegh LNG stock turns upwards on Carnegie upgrade
Investors respond to new buy rating on Oslo-listed FSRU specialist.
- Diana Shipping inks another deal with SwissMarine
US-listed drybulk vessel owner expects to earn almost $5m off minimum length of latest charter to Glencore-backed freight operator.
- China tariffs 'further smack' panamax FFAs
Forward freight markets for panamax bulkers are taking another hit as China targets soybean trade.
- CMA CGM boxship refloated in Cape Town
Danaos-owned vessel reportedly struck breakwater while entering port at low tide.
- Adam Polemis buying VLCC from Mitsui OSK Lines
Greek owner lines up first VLCC buy in almost a year in deal with Japanese shipowner.
- Victor Restis OSV company to debut in Oslo
Golden Energy Offshore looking to expand after debt deal with bondholders.
- GSD tipped for debut tanker order at Hyundai Mipo
Turkish owner looks to have added MR exposure to its existing dry bulk standing.
- Lines bounce back from Hanjin failure with strong 2017
Leading container operators log largest margin since 2010, Alphaliner says.
- China's latest tariff in trade war 'awful timing' for dry bulk
Pareto says move comes at a time of fragile seasonal sentiment and could impact panamax demand.
- Macquarie, Goldman Sachs buying $2.45bn HES
Funds acquiring European tank terminals group from Riverstone and Carlyle.
- Viking Cruises orders two more for $574m
Torstein Hagen company picks Fincantieri's Vard for "special" cruiseships.
- Clarksons takes charge of Toisa tanker and bulker fleet sale
Bankruptcy court approves sale of 20 trading ships and six newbuildings.
- MPCC raids SITC for latest acquisition
Oslo-listed owner buys boxship number 65 from Chinese line.
- Indonesia delays bulker cabotage until 2020
Controversial plans pushed back after outcry from coal producers and owners.
- CSAV boosted by Hapag-Lloyd stake
But CEO Oscar Hasbun says boxship rates have been falling so far this year.
- UPDATE: Bahri VLCC attacked by Houthis
Abqaiq was heading to Egypt when Yemeni militia targeted it.
- Wilhelmsen and Kongsberg venture a first for autonomous shipping
Formation of Massterly extends Norway's leadership in autonomous vessels arena.
- Shanghai Salvage team boards Kea Trader
Chinese salvor mobilises staff and equipment for removal of Lomar boxship.
- Franbo Lines falls to loss for 2017
Taiwanese bulker owner hit by one-off costs last year.
- CoscoCS on track to tie-up OOCL takeover
Vice chairman Huang Xiaowen says US and Chinese approvals still needed.
- Qatargas teams up with Thailand on LNG
Doha-based gas giant to work EGAT on gas procurement, transportation and FSRUs.
- DSME clinches orders for two more VLCCs
South Korean shipbuilder takes recent haul of large tanker newbuildings to $440m this week.
- Queensland looks to have escaped worst of Iris
Tropical cyclone continues to track along Australia's coastline near commodity ports.
- South Korean yards face China FPSO threat
Favourites for $1bn BP contract may have been beaten to the deal by Cosco consortium.
|APRIL 4, 2018|
- Tanker attacked off Yemen coast
The White House issued a statement Wednesday expressing concern about an attack by Houthi rebels in Yemen against a tanker transiting the B...
- Rickenbacker adds ABC Airlines
Cargo airport Rickenbacker International in Columbus, Ohio, will add AirBridgeCargo (ABC) Airlines to its list of scheduled services. The R...
- ANA to add Boeing 777 freighters
ANA Holdings will introduce two new Boeing 777 freighters to its fleet in 2019. The Japanese airline said the planes, valued at $678 millio...
- China announces retaliation against 'Section 301' tariffs
China's Ministry of Commerce on Wednesday announced its intent to impose 25 percent tariffs on 106 items imported from the United States wo...
- Commentary: NCBFAA supports FMC detention, demurrage investigation
The National Customs Brokers and Forwarders Association of America (NCBFAA) works closely with the U.S. Federal Maritime Commission (FMC) o...
- USTR releases list of Chinese products tabbed for tariffs
The Office of the U.S. Trade Representative (USTR) at about 5:00 p.m. Tuesday released a list proposing duties to cover approximately 1,300...
- CSX train collides with semi-truck
A CSX freight train on Monday struck an unoccupied semi-truck in Acworth, Ga. at a rail crossing while the train was en route from Atlanta ...
- CIO Insight: No free lunch
There's an oft-repeated mantra in the tech world: if you're getting software for free, you're not getting a product. You are the product. ...
- Matson to square off with MarAd over APL vessels
Arguments are scheduled next week in federal court on a challenge Matson Navigation Co. is making to a decision by the U.S. Maritime Admini...
|APRIL 4, 2018|
- As Venezuela oil sanctions approach, US Gulf Coast refiners diversify
US imports of Venezuelan crude have fallen to near historic lows and five Gulf Coast refineries now import nearly every barrel the imperiled South American nation exports here.
- Crude downside limited by equity turnaround, EIA data
Crude futures were little changed Wednesday, paring declines late in the session when the Dow Jones Industrial Average turned positive, despite growing trade tension between the US and China.
- Durban bunkers reach record high as refinery poised to return from maintenance
Bunker fuel prices at Durban, South Africa, have reached the highest level in almost two years on local refinery maintenance.
- Saudi oil tanker Abqaiq drops anchor in Red Sea after attack: cFlow
Saudi VLCC the Abqaiq has dropped anchor in the Red Sea a day after it was attacked by Houthi militants, data from S&P Global Platts trade flow software cFlow showed Wednesday.
- External: Praxis Energy Agents S.A
- Yemen conflict risks spilling over into global oil sector
Tensions are starting to simmer across Middle East oil and shipping sectors, including a key global shipping lane, after Yemeni Shi'ite Houthi militants launched a failed attack on a Saudi VLCC.
- FUJAIRAH DATA: Oil product stocks fell 5.5% on week to 16.595 mil barrels
Total oil product stocks in Fujairah were 16.595 million barrels as of Monday, down 5.5% from a week earlier, as all three product categories fell, according to latest data from the Fujairah Energy Data Committee, or FEDCom.
- Singapore Apr ex-wharf 500 CST bunker term deals inked at MOPS 380 CST HSFO minus $3/mt
April term levels for the grade were at a record low.
- Weak Dubai, strong Won help S Korea slash Mar crude import bill
"Yes ... the Brent complex has been relatively expensive since the beginning of this year, so it's prudent to trim European crude intake," a source at a refinery said.
- SUBSCRIBER NOTE: Platts launches Singapore-Australia 35,000 mt clean MR tanker assessment
Separately, Platts will discontinue the current Singapore-Australia 30,000 mt assessment from January 2, 2019.
- FUTURES: Crude inches lower on expected US crude stock build
"Helping support prices were also comments from Russia that it was willing to discuss long-term cooperation with OPEC at the group's ministerial meeting this month," analysts from ANZ said in a note Wednesday.
- TANKER OUTLOOK Q2: Americas dirty tankers market to continue steady on Far East cargoes
VLCCs were seen moving crude cargoes to new destinations such as Taiwan in the first quarter of the year, a trend expected to continue through Q2.