|DECEMBER 11, 2020|
- Just a short-term trend?
- Ceneri base tunnel to go on stream
- Young international freight forwarder of the year
- Road haulage capacity rises - prices fall
- Tanks help to salvage
- Baltic Rail Gate sets the mark, again
- Japanese cargo drones flying ahead?
- SAS Cargo picks CEO
- Baltic Exchange assists investors
- More hinterland connections for western ports
- MGI and Soget unite
- Third cargo service to Pakistan
- Enric Ticó reelected
- "Curiosity of the Day"
- IRU: EU strategy misses target
- ITG opens new facility
- First French B737-800 freighter
- Joint action for safety at sea
|DECEMBER 10, 2020|
- Chronic shortage shines a light on carrier under-investment in box fleets
- Court to decide Flexport-WGA aircraft contract dispute after mediation fails
- 'Grace period' for checks on food from GB gives N Ireland 'breathing space'
- Cainiao launches open tender for 2021 logistics services - but be quick
- Hapag-Lloyd sails in with a boost to Canadian Pacific's east coast ambitions
- UK logistics groups call for 'sensible flexibilities and easements' from government
- Umair Aamir Sheikh named Young International Freight Forwarder of the Year
- Four 'industry powerhouses' join Sea-Intelligence advisory services team
- Against the odds: AP Møller-Maersk - put logistics on the magic block
- Market Insight: Back from the brink Toll, ready to roll with Knudsen?
- Ian Kirkpatrick becomes new central services director at Europa Worldwide
- SAS Cargo appoints US head Max Knagge new chief executive
|DECEMBER 10, 2020|
- Warren Controls introduces new 436 Seawater Pressure Regulator
Bethlehem, Pa., based control valve and speciality fluid handling product manufacturer Warren Controls has introduced its new 436 Seawater Pressure Regulator. Designed to deliver the high performance with the simplest maintenance ,
- Atlantic Shores offshore wind bid includes plans for batteries and green hydrogen
Atlantic City, N.J., based Atlantic Shores Offshore Wind (Atlantic Shores), the 50-50 joint venture between EDF Renewables North America and Shell New Energies US LLC, submitted its proposal to the New Jersey
- Duluth Seaway Port Authority completes property acquisition
The Duluth Seaway Port Authority, Duluth, Minn., last week finalized acquisition of the Duluth Lake Port dock on Rice's Point. Located immediately northwest of the port authority's First Clure Terminal Expansion, but
- VIDEO: AWO thanks mariners for keeping America moving during pandemic
The American Waterways Operators has released a new video thanking the mariners of the American tugboat, towboat and barge industry for their vital role in helping the nation navigate the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Inmarsat places its most powerful satellite yet into service
Inmarsat has confirmed commercial service introduction (CSI) of GX5, the company's most powerful geostationary satellite to date. GX5 is the fourteenth satellite currently in service with Inmarsat and provides additional capacity to
- New Molslinjen owner commits to continue greening
EQT Infrastructure, part of Swedish private equity firm EQT, has reached an agreement to acquire Denmark's largest passenger ferry operator, Molslinjen, from a group of shareholders led by Copenhagen-headquartered Polaris Private Equity.
- Laser Photonics says its latest offering could help Navy win its war on rust
Orlando, Fla., based Laser Photonics Corporation believes that the next generation of its CleanTech family of laser cleaning products, the Class IV CleanTech EZ-Rider Handheld, could play an important role in reducing
- Dean W. Steele joins Moses & Singer
The newest partner in the Corporate and Maritime and Multimodal Transportation practice groups of New York City law firm Moses & Singer LLP is Dean W. Steele. As a Master Mariner with
- MPC Container Ships to add PureBallast Connect to more ships
Oslo-headquartered MPC Container Ships ASA (MPCC) is to increase the number of ships in its fleet fitted with Alfa Laval ballast water treatment systems that feature data-driven PureBallast Connect services. MPCC specializes
|DECEMBER 10, 2020|
- Novatek looks to hydrogen for decarbonising LNG
Hydrogen is seen as one emerging fuel possibly compatible with LNG in operational aspects. Producers worldwide are seeking out the...
- MOL appoints new president to speed up structural reforms
Mr Hashimoto, 63, will pick up the baton from Junichiro Ikeda. He will start his new position next year with...
- Declaring force majeure "horrendously difficult", lawyer warns
A UK lawyer have outlined the pitfalls for companies seeking to invoke force majeure when confronted with Brexit delays and...
- Greek shipowners donate ICU beds as infections surge
Since the summer, the Greek healthcare system has been pushed to breaking point, with more than 80% of all ICU...
- MSC super-sized boxship orders pending financial negotiation
MSC is in talks with several Chinese leasing houses about financing the orders and is trying to gain more favourable...
- Changing systems will not solve 'challenging' cargo crunch, says WSC head
High levels of demand are putting pressure on shippers and cargo owners around the world. But adding additional ships would...
- LNG supplies seen at risk from green push
The decline in new liquefied natural gas supplies applies to a situation where global temperature increase is limited to 2°C
- Piracy ransoms subject to general average, High Court rules
Herculito Maritime v Gunvor International is rare example of a successful appeal under s.69 of the Arbitration Act 1996 on...
- Trafigura shipping heads bearish on dry bulk and bet on LPG boom
The new head of wet freight says he would like to see more liquidity in the liquefied natural gas derivatives...
- Crew change plea to mark UN Human Rights Day
The International Maritime Organization issued a plea for seafarers for UN Human Rights Day alongside a harrowing video of seafarers...
- Box shortage to last at least until Chinese New Year
The coronavirus backdrop has pushed the container supply chain to breaking point. Port congestion, high rates and a shortage of...
- Why Biden will not put the compliance risk genie back in the bottle
The transition of power to the Biden administration in the US may signal some changes in sanctions policy, but do...
- Top 10 in marine insurance
Marine insurance makes for one of the largest items of opcost for most owners, and is set to get more...
- Daily Briefing
Free to read: Shell linked to LNG-fuelled VLCC orders at DSME | UK logistics industry calls for government help on...
|DECEMBER 10, 2020|
- US should sell 'successful' YRC loan: Treasury's Mnuchin
- FedEx Express expands Asia-Europe flights 50 percent to meet holiday surge
- IHS Markit downgrades outlook for global container volumes in 2021
- Import surge at Southeast ports tightens chassis availability
- US retailers project strong import growth at least through April
- Transfix adds weight to drop-and-hook momentum
|DECEMBER 10, 2020|
- US-China crude trade to support large tankers despite bearish outlook over shale output
While Opec+ seeks to maintain market share, China is expected to lift more US crude due to a bilateral trade agreement
- Nigerian Navy head says personnel aiding in oil theft
Oil theft was once a major driver of piracy in the country
- Fearnleys seconds S&P upgrade on Global Ship Lease debt
Moody's raised its credit outlook on the New York-listed owner in mid-October
- First LNG bunkering operation completed on Great Lakes
REV LNG supplies Damia Desgagnes in pioneering truck-to-ship supply
- Courting investors 2020 style: International Seaways roadshows never leave home
Management works hard behind the scenes of a potential 2021 recovery but no luggage required
- Axel Eitzen secures future of Christiania Shipping in deal with NIBC
Former Herning Shipping refinances three-year loans that allowed its takeover in 2018
- Human Rights Day: MLC rules being 'stress-tested' as never before
UK charity Human Rights at Sea and ILO urge continued focus on the plight of seafarers
- Ancora Investment Trust emerges as buyer of Norden MR tanker
Greek shipowner makes fleet renewal play with purchase of Nord Butterfly
- EnTrust focuses on green finance gap after raising $2.1bn for shipping deals
Alternative finance house completes latest fundraiser for Blue Ocean Funds venture
- S'Hail adds biggest bulker to Baumarine by Maruklav pool
Qatar shipowner's latest acquisition becomes its sixth vessel to join Klaveness and Marubeni venture
- Product tankers enjoy mini winter rally in east-of-Suez trades
LR and MR rates are strengthening in Middle East and East Asia, but rising bunker costs and weak oil demand remain worrisome
- Trafigura to shrink tanker fleet on bearish freight market view
More than half of the trading giant's time-chartered fleet will be redelivered to owners by the end of December
- Fatal indecision: OSV owners hope others will take scrapping hit first
Danish Ship Finance says old ships have to go, but no one is willing to make the first move
- Frangou and Marinakis deliver $1.8m hospital donation as Covid-19 ravages Greece
Shipowners assist state efforts as their country fails to repeat sterling performance against the pandemic
- Noble confirms exit from shipowning with sale of last capesize
Singapore trader says Aqua Vision has gone for a higher price than reported
- Shell brings in Karrie Trauth as new head of shipping
Energy major shuffles names at the top of its trading units, with female trio taking lead jobs
- VLGC rates break $100,000 per day barrier but shock may lie ahead
Earnings have nearly doubled in a month, with tonnage tight as demand remains strong
- Cargo owners found liable for part of Greek shipowner's $7.7m ransom to pirates
Landmark ruling relating to 2010 hijacking hinged on wording of bills of lading and charter contract
- Polaris Private Equity seals $1bn sale of Molslinjen after pandemic delay
Private equity fund had halted divestment of Danish ropax company in April as Covid-19 destroyed demand
- Euronav starts with a B grade from Carbon Disclosure Project
Tanker owner says first rating is higher than average for shipowners
- Athenian Sea Carriers jumps on VLCC newbuilding bandwagon
Greek owner poised to ink first newbuildings since appointment of its new chief executive
- Surge seen in trading of tanker FFAs for 2023 and 2024
Market players are looking further out both on paper and in physical trading
- MOL orders wind-powered panamax bulker at Oshima Shipbuilding
Hard sail to cut vessel's greenhouse gas emissions by between 5 and 8%, claims shipowner
- Investor drops class action attempt against Golar LNG
The lawsuit sought to recoup losses after the delayed Hygo Energy Transition IPO
- Confusion surrounds Covid-19 outbreak on Singapore 'cruise to nowhere'
- Shoei Kisen linked to boxships for ONE as Capital inks berths
Greek shipowner Evangelos Marinakis signs letters of intent for up to 20 units in South Korea
- CMB breaks stalemate with order for 6,000-teu boxships
Belgian owner opts for eight ships in underbuilt medium-sized containership market
- Boxship newbuilding enquiries surge in year-end gift to yards
Projects advancing on swathe of ultra-large and neo-panamax vessels
|DECEMBER 10, 2020|
- Freight interests, pilots press for priority vaccinations
Who will get to the front of the COVID vaccination line? Virtually everyone agrees front-line doctors and nurses, and people in nursing homes, should be...
- Port of Long Beach goes on the record with another No. 1
Empty containers returning to Asia jumped 55% to 283,563 units.
- UPS begins nationwide shipping of vaccine kits
Operation COVID Logistics is underway, with the auxiliary materials to administer vaccines moving out to local distribution sites.
- Commentary: Assessing the COVID cargo crunch
"Additional stress on an already-overloaded system tends to further destabilize the system."
- Rehearsal exposes gaps in COVID vaccine delivery
U.S. officials at Operation Warp Speed say they are ready to go with the COVID-19 vaccine distribution, but a high-ranking state health official says people...
|DECEMBER 10, 2020|
- ARA diesel, gasoil stocks rise 5.4% on week on fresh supply, flatlining demand: Insights Global
Stocks of diesel and gasoil in the Amsterdam-Rotterdam-Antwerp trading hub rose 5.4% to 2.577 million mt in the week to Dec. 9, Insights Global data released Dec. 10 showed.
- ARGENTINA DATA: October oil refining fell 21.6% on year
Argentinian crude oil runs dropped 21.6% in October year on year, as a rise in asphalt and fuel oil production failed to offset declines in diesel, gasoline and jet fuel, the state statistics department said late Dec. 9.
- Bumps in oil demand recovery will change tanker trade patterns: BIMCO
Coronavirus-related uncertainties will haunt oil demand recovery in 2021 and will alter trade flows, Peter Sand, chief shipping analyst at BIMCO, said in a research note Dec. 10, changes the market is already starting to see as oil demand and prices begin to recover.
- OIL FUTURES: Crude rises to highest price since March as vaccine, Asia demand boost outlooks
Crude futures settled at nine-month highs Dec. 10 as demand outlooks improved amid the continued rollout of a COVID-19 vaccine and signs of rising Asian crude appetite.
- January arbitrage flows to Asia slow for West African, Mediterranean crude
**Wider EFS keeps interest low for Brent-linked grades **Alternatives such as US crude, ESPO, local grades more attractive to Asia refiners
- RUSSIA DATA: Jan-Oct oil product exports unchanged on year
Russia's refined oil product exports from January-October were unchanged on the year at 116.599 million mt, customs data showed Dec. 10.
- TFG Marine announces ARA bunker operations, safe tests of bio-marine fuel
**Some ARA barges will have MFMs **Biofuels account for only niche share of marine market
- Novatek, Siemens Energy to work together on decarbonizing LNG, hydrogen
Russia's Novatek and Siemens Energy signed an agreement on Dec. 10 to jointly develop and implement technologies enabling production of LNG and hydrogen with a reduced carbon footprint, the Russian gas producer and LNG exporter said in a statement.
- NWE 3.5%S fuel oil crack loses steam ahead of year-end
The 3.5%S fuel oil FOB Rotterdam barge crack has halved since reaching a 2020 high at the end of October, with support evaporating as demand thins ahead of the end of the year and supply constraints ease, according to market sources.
- European Commission sees maritime, aviation sector hardest to decarbonize amid fresh targets
**EC to propose adding shipping to EU ETS **Tougher carbon pricing will be key to aviation emissions reduction
- REFINERY NEWS: Staff at Grandpuits, France on strike, deliveries blocked: reports
Staff at the French Grandpuits have voted to join a second strike resulting in a blockade of product deliveries from the site as well as the nearby Gargenville oil terminal over Dec.10-12, according to local media reports.
- S Korea's Hyundai Motor, LS Electric to develop hydrogen fuel cell power generation systems
South Korea's Hyundai Motor Co. and LS Electric have signed a memorandum of understanding to develop and supply hydrogen fuel cell power generation systems, both companies said Dec. 9.
- FEATURE: Northeast Asian refiners set to make U-turn on crude import diversification strategy in 2021
**Saudi crude seen most reliable in times of uncertainty **Middle East suppliers regain Northeast Asian market share **ZPC, Shenghong Petrochemical to run primarily on Saudi oil
- FEATURE: US LPG shipments to Asia on track for steady flows in 2021
**Healthy propane supply to meet firm north Asian demand **Propane switches to premium over butane after three months **VLGC rates at four-five year peaks
- Gulf Oil International reaches agreement to buy Ocean Tankers
Gulf Oil International has reached an agreement to acquire the lubricant blending plant with wharf access, storage tank farm, and terminal facility from Ocean Tankers.
- Firmer Asian market, low freight spurs US arbitrage shipments
**Wider spread contributes to arbitrage opportunity **H2 sentiment firmer on steam cracker restart
- Taiwan raises fuel oil exports in Q4 on higher margins
**Formosa sells third HSFO cargo for December **CPC raises fuel oil sales in Q4 on higher runs